Wednesday, March 24, 2010

It's going to be okay.

I posted this in response to your comment a few weeks ago as to my 'big secret' that helps me keep losing even when I think I'm not:

I took advice from everyone in the family:

Alice: give yourself a cheat day once a week-this is the best b/c you always know that there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Maybe you can build up to a point where you don't have a cheat day at all, but you'll find that you'll plan yummy, icky stuff for that special weekly day and when it hits you can't eat that much. (e.g. I planned to have Cheetos for breakfast and only ate maybe two handfuls before my craving was satisfied and I couldn't each any more.) Then the next day your body springs back into gear and you'll be even more pumped to exercise off the crap from the day before.

Rachel: don't let your exercise routine overwhelm you. If you can only walk 10-15 min/day then just do that instead of just not doing it altogether. 10 min x 5 days = 50 minutes/week = very good for you =)

Read: Do 10 sit ups/day before bed. Same idea: 10 sit ups x 7 days x 4 weeks = 280-310 sit ups / month! You won't see it right away, but over time you'll feel a difference.

Tanya: Digestive enzymes. When we over eat our food isn't always broken down completely and so digestive enzymes keep the digestive track working properly so I don't have that horrible bloated feeling that I used to get all the time after eating. The 'rhea went away too.

Cindy: walk wherever you can to do things. Take public transportation or just park your car further away from where you need to be. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Try not to mentally shut down while preparing to accomplish this. That is, get over the hump if you can. If you can't do it all at once then try just one thing at a time. The important thing is not to overwhelm yourself so you give up.

Another thing is be sure to get some perspective. I gave myself a year to lose 100 pounds. That's only 2 pounds / week, which is a pretty decent pace. Sometimes I'm ahead and sometimes I'll be behind, but I can only do as much as I can handle and if it gets to be too much then I'll have to adjust things accordingly. It's pretty much trial and error for me.

I think we all know how to lose weight (eat only 2000 calories/day & walk 1 hour 4 or 5 days a week), but we're all waiting to hear something profound that will move us enough to act upon that 'something' hoping it will finally work for us.

For me, that 'something' was a little bit of everything =)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Deb!
    I love it, the tidbits from everyone is so "them!"

    ReplyDelete